Cook time: 10min
1 medium (267 grams) green plantain, peeled
½ cup olive oil (most will be leftover)
1 chili pepper, chopped
- Trim the plantain’s ends and cut in half for a more manageable size.
- Peel each half by turning it upright and slicing off the skin with a sharp knife.
- Cut the peeled plantains into long, thin slices using a vegetable peeler.
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a small skillet or in a deep fryer. Add the chili pepper to flavor the oil.
- Test the oil with a small piece of plantain; when it sizzles, the oil is ready.
- Fry the plantain slices in batches, a few at a time, until crispy and slightly golden; about 2 minutes. Do not crowd the pan.
- Turn them over with tongs to fry evenly.
- Transfer fried plantains to a plate lined with a paper towel to absorb excess oil.
- Arrange crispy plantains on a small platter. Serve them with your favorite sauce or enjoy them plain.