Farina Latin Style
Farina is made up of the germ and endosperm of a wheat grain; milled until it becomes a fine powder like flour. The spice accents in this creamy porridge make for a satisfying breakfast or even a dessert.
Cook time: 9min
1 ¼ cups unsweetened soy milk
1 ¼ cups water
Pinch sea salt
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
1 whole cloves
2 sticks cinnamon
Dash ground nutmeg
1 tablespoon unsalted butter
⅓ cup coconut sugar (used Now® for nutrient analysis)
¾ cup farina
- Heat a medium-sized pot over medium-low heat.
- Add the milk, water, salt, vanilla, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the butter, sugar, and farina. Stir to mix evenly.
- Cook for about 2 minutes. Stir constantly to avoid the mixture sticking to the pot. Add additional water or milk if the mixture becomes too thick.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks and cloves.
- Serve immediately in individual bowls.