Fall Farro Salad
Although renal diets are recommended to avoid whole grains, there is evidence that ancient grains have lower levels of phosphorus or potassium. Be sure to adhere to the serving size.
Cook time: 30min
1½ cups farro
3 cups water
¼ cup walnuts, chopped
½ cup cranberries, dried
½ cup smoked Mozzarella cheese, cubed
2 scallions, chopped, white and green parts
½ cup Italian Parsley, minced
¼ cup mint leaves, minced
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 teaspoons lemon juice, or to taste
A pinch of sugar
Black pepper, freshly grounded, to taste
A pinch of sea salt (optional)
- Place the farro in a large pot and add water.
- Bring to a boil and simmer.
- Cook covered for 30 minutes or until tender. (Cooking may be shorter if it is pearlized farro.)
- Drain and let cool for 10 minutes.
- Combine the cooled farro with nuts, cranberries, cheese, scallions, parsley, mint, olive oil, lemon juice and pinch of sugar in a large bowl.
- Season with pepper and salt, if desired, to taste. Enjoy!
Recipe contributed by FamilyCook Productions