Egg White Frittata with Penne
A frittata is one of the easiest ways to prepare eggs, and the results look like you’ve spent hours in the kitchen. Even if you make frittatas all the time, adding pasta may be a new twist. Pasta creates a heartier dish that is perfect for lunch on a busy weekend or cut up into squares for a road trip.
6 egg whites
¼ cup rice milk
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
1 teaspoon fresh chives, chopped
Freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons olive oil
¼ small sweet onion, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
½ cup red bell pepper, boiled and chopped
2 cups cooked penne
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg whites, rice milk, parsley, thyme, chives and pepper.
- In a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat, heat the olive oil.
- Sauté the onion, garlic, and red pepper for about 4 minutes or until they are softened.
- Using a spatula, add the cooked penne to the skillet to evenly distribute the pasta.
- Pour the egg mixture over the pasta and shake the pan to coat the pasta.
- Leave the skillet on the heat for 1 minute to set the bottom of the frittata and then transfer the skillet to the oven.
- Bake the frittata for about 25 minutes or until it is set and golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately.