Costa Rican Gallo Pinto
When you are looking for a twist on rice and beans, the simplicity of this dish and the flavor of the Costa Rican sauce make for a great change of pace.
¼ gallo pinto + 1 egg + ¾ cup rice
Cook time: 15min
⅓ cup black beans, dry
4 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium (110g) onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium (119g) red bell pepper, finely diced
1 teaspoon cumin
1 tablespoon salsa Lizano (or use gluten free Worcestershire sauce)
3 cups white rice, cooked
½ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
Pinch smoked paprika
¼ cup cilantro, chopped
4 eggs, hard-boiled
Pinch sea salt (optional)
Directions for beans advance prep:
- Soak ⅓ cup of dry black beans in 1 ½ cups of water overnight or at least 2 hours.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook the beans until tender for about 10-15 Reserve beans and their cooking liquid which will be dark.
Directions for gallo pinto:
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chopped onion, garlic, and red pepper.
- Cook, stirring often, until vegetables are soft and fragrant.
- Add the cumin and salsa lizano (or Worcestershire sauce); Mix well. Cook for 2 to 3 more minutes.
- Add the beans and their liquid, mix well. Cook for 1 minute.
- Add the cooked rice and stir until rice is well mixed with the beans.
- Cover skillet, lower heat, and simmer for 1 to 2 minutes, until rice is heated.
- Season with pepper, smoked paprika and cilantro to taste.
- Serve in bowls with one sliced hard-boiled egg on top.