Cook time: 15min
¾ cup unbleached flour, divided (½ cup + ¼ cup)
¾ teaspoon baking powder
1 small egg
5 ounces’ ice-water
¼ cup breadcrumbs, homemade
¼ ⅔ cup (30g) coconut, unsweetened, shredded
14 large (300g total) shrimp, peeled with tails on
¼ teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
½ cup olive oil
½ teaspoon salt (optional)
1 clove of garlic
1 cup cilantro, chopped
¼ cup olive oil
2 tablespoons lemon, juiced
¼ teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons yogurt, plain
1 teaspoon honey
Immersion blender for sauce
- Combine ½ cup of the flour, baking powder and salt, if desired, into a mixing bowl.
- Form a well in the center and add the egg.
- Whisk in the ice-water and mix well to create a smooth batter. Set aside.
- Place remaining ¼ cup flour in a separate shallow bowl. Set it next to the bowl of batter.
- Combine breadcrumbs and shredded coconut in a third bowl. Mix it until well combined and place with the other two bowls.
- Season the shrimp with salt, if using, and pepper. Coat the shrimp in flour, shake off excess flour and reserve.
- Hold the tail of each shrimp and dip it into the batter. Lift and allow for excess batter to drip back into the bowl.
- Roll each shrimp in the breadcrumb mixture. Repeat until all shrimp are coated.
- Heat a deep pan or wok on medium-high and add oil. Fry the battered shrimp for 1 to 2 minutes until golden and crisp on bottom side. Flip and cook on top side for 1 minute more.
- Drain onto paper towels. Serve the shrimp while warm and dip into cilantro sauce.
- Combine all the sauce ingredients in a very small blender. Blend until smooth.
- Add water, one teaspoon at a time, until you achieve desired sauce consistency.
- Adjust seasoning if desired.
- Serve the shrimp while warm and dip into cilantro sauce. Enjoy!