Traditionally, cocadas is loaded with sweetened, condensed milk, driving up the protein, phosphorus and potassium. However, this recipe cuts back on the condensed milk, making it kidney-friendly!
Cook time: 15min
2 large eggs, whites only
⅓ cup coconut sugar (used Now® for nutrient analysis)
3 cups unsweetened coconut, shredded
¼ teaspoon baking powder
½ tablespoon vanilla extract
½ cup sweetened condensed milk
2 tablespoons chocolate chips
1 teaspoon coconut oil
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Whisk egg whites in a medium bowl until foamy.
- Add coconut sugar, shredded coconut, and baking powder. Whisk thoroughly.
- Fold in the vanilla and condensed milk gently.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of the batter at a time onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. This should make about 12 cocadas.
- Bake the cocadas for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until golden.
- Combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil in a small microwave safe bowl. Heat in the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Mix the melted chocolate chips and coconut oil together until smooth.
- Drizzle over the baked cocadas with a spoon.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.