Chestnut Celery Root Soup
Chestnuts make this a richly flavored soup that is ideal to serve in small portions as an appetizer for a holiday meal. A great starter to your Thanksgiving or Christmas meal!
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 cups fresh chestnuts, precooked and peeled
3⅔ cups celery root, diced
¼ cup celery, chopped
¼ cup onion, chopped
¼ teaspoon sea salt
Black pepper, freshly grounded, to taste
3½ cups water
1 cup unsweetened rice milk or whole milk
Chives, chopped, for garnish
Makes: 12 Serving size: ½ cup
- Heat oil in a large stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the cooked chestnuts, celery root, celery and onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat until vegetables start to soften.
- Add water to the pot. Simmer for approximately 20-30 minutes until vegetables are completely cooked through and soft enough to puree.
- Add milk and return to a boil.
- Remove from heat. Blend into a puree using an immersion blender or in batches, using a large high speed blender.
- If the texture is not smooth enough using your blender, Strain through a fine mesh strainer before serving. Garnish with chopped chives and serve.
Recipe contributed by FamilyCook Productions