1 cup canned unsweetened cherries, drained and juice reserved
1 cup canned unsweetened raspberries, drained and juice reserved
¾ cup reserved cherry and raspberry juices (if necessary, add water to make ¾ cup)
1 tablespoon cornstarch
¼ teaspoon almond extract
Pastry for a two-crust pie, raw
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- In a small saucepan, combine juices and cornstarch.
- Cook over low heat until thick and clear, stirring often.
- Add cherries, raspberries and almond extract.
- In a pie dish, line pastry at the base and around the dish.
- Pour the filling into lined dish and cover with the remaining pastry and seal the edges.
- Make small slits in the top crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375°F and continue baking 25 – 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
- Cut the pie into 8 equal slices and serve.
Recipe contributed by Satellite Healthcare