Chai Spice Apples in Custard
This French classic inspired recipe is so easy and incredibly satisfying that you’ll be making it frequently. The Chai spices add a welcoming and exotic twist. A perfect recipe when you want a seasonal, fruit-based dessert, with less pastry and more calcium.
Cook time: 25min
1 cup low-fat milk
6 tablespoons butter, melted and divided (4 tablespoons + 2 tablespoons)
1 teaspoon vanilla
¼ cup sugar
⅔ cup flour
4 large apples, semi-sweet, peeled, cored and diced
3 tablespoons sugar, divided (2½ tablespoons + ½ tablespoon)
⅛ teaspoon sea salt (optional)
1½ teaspoons Chai Spice blend or make your own:
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
½ teaspoon ground allspice
1½ teaspoons ground Vietnamese cinnamon
½ teaspoon ground cloves
1½ teaspoons ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- If mixing your own chai, combine all ingredients in a small bowl and reserve 1½ teaspoons.
- Generously butter a pie pan and place on a baking sheet and set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, 4 tablespoons of melted butter, vanilla and sugar until sugar is dissolved.
- Add the flour and salt, if using, and mix well. Set aside as you make the apples.
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- When butter is melted, add the apples and sprinkle with 2½ tablespoons of sugar and ½ teaspoon of chai.
- Cook the apples, tossing frequently, for 2 to 4 minutes or until fork has a little resistance when poking the apples. Remove from heat.
- Pour half the batter into the pie pan.
- Use a slotted spoon and scoop apples from the pan and place them on the batter. Reserve the juices on the pan.
- Pour remaining batter over the apples and add the juices from the pan to the top.
- Mix the remaining ½ tablespoon of sugar and remaining teaspoon of chai seasoning together and sprinkle over the top.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, until a toothpick comes clean.
- Let cool 15 minutes before slicing. Cut into 8 equal slices and enjoy!