1 cup white flour
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 teaspoon dried or fresh ginger, grated
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup coconut oil, melted
½ cup agave nectar
1 cup fresh carrots, grated
1 orange, zested
2 tablespoons store-bought frosting, melted (optional)
Makes: 15 Serving size: 2 cookies
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray.
2. In a large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients: flour, oats, ginger, cinnamon, nutmeg and baking powder.
3. Slowly add wet ingredients to the mixture: melted coconut oil, agave nectar and grated carrots, mixing together.
4. Add the zest from one orange using a citrus grater.
5. Scoop 1 tablespoon of dough into hands and roll into a circular cookie. Repeat until all the dough is used up.
6. Bake until golden, around 10-15 minutes. Let cool.
7. If desired, heat store bought vanilla frosting in the microwave for about 15 seconds or until melted and drizzle over cookies for a sweet finish.
Recipe contributed by Sara Pellegrino, MPH, RD, LDN