Butternut Squash and Cider Soup
The only liquid for this squash soup is water with equal parts apple cider. The resulting heightened squash flavor is contrasted by the cheese and dill garnish. Pure perfection as an appetizer or with a sandwich at lunch!
6 ounces cup
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1½ pound (small) butternut squash, peeled, seeded and diced
1½ cups water
1½ cups apple cider
1 medium zucchini, peeled and diced
1 tablespoon butter
¼ cup Feta cheese
4 sprigs dill
Makes: 8 Serving size: 6 ounces cup
- Heat the olive oil in a medium saucepan over high heat.
- Add the onions, reduce heat and sauté over low heat until translucent, approximately 10 minutes.
- Add the squash, water and cider. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes. Add the zucchini and simmer until squash is very tender, approximately 5 more minutes.
- Purée mixture using a blender in batches.
- Add additional cider or water, depending on desired sweetness, to thin the purée until desired consistency is reached.
- Return mixture to the saucepan and heat until just bubbly.
- Add the butter and swirl until melted.
- Serve in individual soup bowls and garnish with crumbled feta cheese and chopped dill. Enjoy!
Recipe contributed by FamilyCook Productions