Braised Purple Cabbage
This recipe has no right to turn out so delicious. With just a few ingredients, you will create a flavorful side dish that pairs well with grilled fish, chicken or tofu. Cabbage is also one of my favorite low potassium substitutions for spinach and other cooked greens.
Cook time: 20min
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 onion, diced
½ head purple cabbage, cut into ½-inch strips and rough chopped
Pinch of Kosher salt
Pinch of red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
½ cup low sodium vegetable stock
- Heat the oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat.
- Add the onions and cook until soft and translucent, stirring occasionally, 5-7 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, salt and red pepper flakes. Cook until cabbage is bright in color, stirring occasionally, 3-5 minutes.
- Increase the heat to medium-high, add the vinegar and vegetable stock and bring to a boil.
- Cover and reduce the heat to low. Simmer until the cabbage is tender, but not too soft, stirring occasionally, 8-10 minutes.