Braised Cabbage with Turkey Sausage
This recipe is so simple, yet so delicious. You’ll be happy to have leftovers of the braised cabbage for breakfast, to enjoy next to eggs, or for lunch, next to half a sandwich. The acidity from the cider vinegar perfectly balances the sweetness of the apples and cabbage. You can pair the cabbage with chicken, pork or fish as well.
5 ounces of cabbage + 1 sausage
Cook time: 20min
1 teaspoon caraway seeds
1 teaspoon fennel seeds
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 small apples, semi-tart, cored and thinly sliced
½ small red cabbage, thinly sliced
¼ cup apple cider vinegar
¼ cup water
6 turkey sausages
Black pepper, freshly grounded, to taste
Sea salt (optional)
- Heat a large skillet at medium heat and toast the caraway and fennel seeds for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat and melt the butter in the pan with the seeds.
- Add the apples to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, cider vinegar, and water to the pan.
- Braise for 10 minutes over medium heat.
- While the cabbage is braising, heat another medium skillet at medium high heat.
- Arrange the sausages in the skillet so they are not crowded.
- Cook sausages until they are evenly heated inside, about 10-15 minutes.
- Season the cabbage and the sausages to taste. Serve together, with crusty bread and enjoy!