Black Forest Dessert
Inspired by a Medieval recipe, this is a rich and indulgent dessert. Rich and tart cherries, creamy pudding, a kiss of mint and a bit of crunch.
Ingredients for Cherry Mix:
½ pound fresh cherries, stems and pits removed
2 ounces red wine or grape juice
2 tablespoons sugar (do not include, if using grape juice)
1 tablespoon butter, unsalted
1 teaspoon arrowroot starch
2 teaspoons water
Ingredients for Assembly:
6 tablespoons graham cracker crumbs
¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
6, 3 ½ ounce to-go chocolate pudding cups (or vanilla)
Blender or food processor
Ramekin or small bowl
Instructions for Cherry Mix:
- Puree the cherries, wine and sugar together in a blender or food processor until somewhat smooth (it will appear grainy).
- Melt the butter in a large skillet. Add the cherry puree.
- Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer 25 minutes or until liquid is near gone and you can draw a line through the mixture with a spatula and liquids take at least 3 seconds to close in the space.
- Remove from the heat. Mix in the arrowroot and water then stir into the pan. Continue stirring until mixture has thickened.
- Let cool for 15 minutes.
Instructions for Assembly:
- Place ½ tablespoon of graham cracker crumbs into a ramekin or small bowl.
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon of mint then place ½ container of chocolate pudding.
- Top with 1 tablespoon of cherry mix on top, followed by another ½ tablespoon of graham cracker crumbs.
- Add the remaining ½ of the pudding cup and another 1 teaspoon of mint and serve.