1 tablespoon margarine
1 small yellow onion, chopped
⅓ cup barley
⅓ cup white rice
2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
1 carrot, peeled and finely chopped
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
½ teaspoon dried thyme
- In a medium saucepan, melt margarine over moderate heat.
- Add onion and cook about 5 minutes or until soft.
- Add barley and rice and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.
Recipe contributed by Satellite Healthcare