Asparagus and Swiss Cheese Frittata
This delicious frittata is a sure-fire way to please your family for breakfast or lunch, while still maintaining your renal diet. Starting in the skillet and ending in the oven, this meal is packed with nutritious asparagus and a cheesy filling.
½ pound asparagus, tough ends trimmed
2 teaspoons unsalted butter
½ cup shallots, chopped
3 large eggs
5 large egg whites
2 tablespoons fresh Pecorino Romano, grated
1 tablespoon 1% milk
3 ounces reduced fat Swiss cheese
Salt, to taste (optional)
Pepper, to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Steam asparagus crisp and tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Thinly slice on the diagonal into ½-inch pieces.
- Heat butter in a 10-inch oven safe skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in shallots and sauté until golden, about 4-5 minutes.
- Add steamed asparagus, and if desired, salt and pepper.
- In a medium bowl whisk eggs, egg whites, grated cheese, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Add the Swiss cheese and mix well.
- Add egg mixture to the skillet, making sure it covers the asparagus. Cook on medium heat for about 4 minutes, until the edges begin to set.
- Move the skillet to oven. Cook about 16 to 18 minutes, or until frittata is completely cooked.
- Cut into 4 equal wedges, serve hot.
Recipe contributed by Satellite Healthcare