Aromatic Cauliflower Soup
Our version of cauliflower soup features aromatic Indian spices that add a complex twist to a very simple vegetable soup. The creamy texture from the cashews makes it hard to believe there is no cream added! Enjoy this dish with a side salad for a wholesome meal.
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 tablespoon ginger, fresh grated or minced
½ teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon cumin seed, grounded
1 teaspoon coriander seed, grounded
1 medium cauliflower
5 cups water
Black pepper, freshly ground, to taste
¾ cup cashews, raw
Sea salt (optional)
Chives, minced (optional)
Sage, minced (optional)
Makes: 6 Serving size: 10 ounces
- Heat the olive oil in a large stock pot or Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Reduce heat to low, and sauté the onions, garlic and ginger for 5 minutes.
- Add the turmeric, cumin and coriander. Stir to mix well.
- Add the cauliflower and 3 cups of water.
- Salt lightly, if desired, add pepper and bring to boil.
- Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Pour the soup into a blender to blend or blend in the pot with an immersion blender.
- Add the cashews and the remaining cups of water. Blend well.
- Serve warm or chilled with minced chives or sage garnish.
Recipe contributed by FamilyCook Productions