Fuji, Gala, and Braeburn apples are sweet apples that are good for baking. Granny Smith are tart baking apples. To make the perfect apple crisp, use ⅔ of the sweet variety with ⅓ Granny Smith. What a great combination!
½ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup lightly packed light brown sugar
¼ teaspoon sea salt
6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into cubes
1 cup old fashioned oats
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
7 cups apples, sliced ¼ inch thick (about 5 large apples)
2 tablespoons water
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Lightly grease an 8-inch square pan. Set aside.
- For the topping, in a small bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, and salt. Using a pastry cutter (or your hands), incorporate butter into flour mixture until it resembles coarse crumbs. Add oats and work into mixture with your hands. Set aside in fridge while preparing the filling.
- For the filling, in a small bowl, combine flour and cinnamon. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large bowl, toss apples with water, lemon juice, and flour-cinnamon mixture.
- Pour apple mixture into prepared pan. Scatter oat mixture on top of apples, gently pressing down. Bake until apples are bubbling and topping is golden, about 45 – 50 minutes. Let cool 10 minutes before serving.