1 tablespoon olive oil
9 ounces smoked ham steak or slab bacon, cut into ½ inch cubes
1 large onion
½ bunch collard greens (about 6 cups)
4 cups water
1 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
1 can black-eyed peas, rinsed and drained
1 golden beet, unpeeled, diced ¼ inch size pieces
1 teaspoon sea salt (optional)
Makes: 6 Serving size: 10 ounces
- Heat a large stockpot or dutch oven over high heat and add the oil.
- Add the ham to the pot and sauté until browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add the onions and reduce heat. Cook until softened, about 5-8 minutes.
- Remove excess collard stems. Stack 3 – 4 leaves on top of each other. Slice the leaves into ribbons, about ½ inch wide.
- Add the collards when the onions have softened.
- Wilt over high heat until they turn bright green, collapsed and softened.
- Add 4 cups of water, with salt, if desired, and pepper.
- Add black-eyed peas. Cook for 5-7 minutes over high heat.
- Add the golden beet. Cook and stir for another 3-5 minutes. Enjoy!
Recipe contributed by FamilyCook Productions