1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 tablespoon olive oil, divided (1 teaspoon + 2 teaspoons)
1 large red onion, thinly sliced in half moons
1/8 teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
¼ cup low sodium barbecue sauce
1 (12-inch) prepared pizza crust, such as Boboli or Pastorelli (Boboli was used in the nutrient analysis)
1 cup shredded low sodium mozzarella cheese
½ cup diced pineapple or canned crushed pineapple in water, drained
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
Makes: 6 Serving size: 1 slice
1. Preheat oven to 350° F.
2. Rub 1 tsp oil over the chicken breast and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
3. Bake for 44 to 55 minutes, or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165° F using an instant-read thermometer. If you don’t have a thermometer, check that the thickest part of the chicken is no longer pink.
4. Remove the chicken from the oven. When cool, shred or chop into bite size pieces. You should have about 1 cup. The chicken can be baked ahead and stored, covered in the refrigerator until needed.
5. Increase oven temperature to 425° F.
6. Heat remaining 2 tsp oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and salt. Cover to cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, or until onions begin to soften. Uncover and cook 5 minutes more. Add balsamic vinegar and cook a few minutes while stirring. Remove from heat and set aside.
7. In a small bowl, toss the chicken with barbecue sauce. Set aside.
8. Spread the onions over the pizza crust. Sprinkle with half of the cheese.
9. Evenly arrange the shredded chicken over the cheese, followed by the pineapple.
10. Top with the remaining cheese.
11. Bake until bottom of crust is crisp and cheese has melted, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cilantro.