1 tablespoon olive oil, divided (1 teaspoon + 2 teaspoons)
1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
1 large red onion, thinly sliced in half moons
⅛ teaspoons salt
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
¼ cup low sodium barbecue sauce
1 (12-inch) prepared pizza crust, such as Boboli or Pastorelli (Boboli was used in the nutrient analysis)
1 cup low sodium mozzarella cheese, shredded
½ cup pineapple, diced or canned crushed pineapple, drained
2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
Makes: 6 Serving size: 1 slice
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Rub 1 teaspoon oil over the chicken breast and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 44 to 55 minutes, or until internal temperature of chicken reaches 165°F using an instant-read thermometer. If you don’t have a thermometer, check that the thickest part of the chicken is no longer pink.
- Remove the chicken from the oven. When cool, shred or chop into bite size pieces. You should have about 1 cup. The chicken can be baked ahead and stored, covered in the refrigerator until needed.
- Increase oven temperature to 425°F.
- Heat remaining oil in a large sauté pan over medium heat. Add onions and salt. Cover to cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes, or until onions begin to soften. Uncover and cook 5 minutes more. Add balsamic vinegar and cook a few minutes while stirring. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a small bowl, toss the chicken with barbecue sauce. Set aside.
- Spread the onions over the pizza crust. Sprinkle with half of the cheese.
- Evenly arrange the shredded chicken over the cheese, followed by the pineapple.
- Top with the remaining cheese.
- Bake until bottom of crust is crisp and cheese has melted, about 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle with cilantro.
- Cut the pizza into 6 even slices and serve.
Recipe contributed by Akebia