Fresh Strawberry Pie
Create this classic strawberry pie right in your kitchen. Create the pie crust using the instructions below or buy your own at your local grocery store. Either way, this pie is sure to please your family and friends.
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons white whole-wheat flour
¼ teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter, cut into chunks
3-4 tablespoons ice water
2 pounds strawberries, sliced (about 5 cups), divided
¾ cup granulated sugar
¾ cup water
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 package (8 ounce) reduced-fat cream cheese, at room temperature
3 tablespoons confectioners’ sugar
2 teaspoons lemon zest
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
To prepare crust:
- Mix flour and salt in a large bowl or food processor.
- Cut in cold butter using a pastry blender, two knives or by pulsing in the food processor, until the butter forms pebble-size pieces with the flour.
- Add water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until the dough is evenly moist (but not wet) and is just starting to clump together, being careful not to over-mix.
- Pat the dough into a 5-inch disk. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days.
- Remove from the refrigerator about 15 minutes before rolling out.
To prepare pie:
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Roll the dough between sheets of parchment paper into a 12- to 13-inch circle.
- Peel off the top sheet and invert the dough into a 9-inch pie pan. Remove the second sheet. Tuck the overhanging dough under, forming a double-thick edge.
- Crimp the edge with your fingers, a fork or spoon. Prick the crust with a fork several times.
- Bake the crust until barely golden brown on the edges, 15 to 20 minutes.
To prepare filling:
- Puree 1¾ cups strawberries in a food processor until smooth.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk sugar, water and cornstarch until the sugar is dissolved.
- Stir in the strawberry puree. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Transfer the mixture to a medium bowl and let cool for 30 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, confectioners’ sugar, lemon zest and vanilla with an electric mixer until smooth. Spread evenly in the bottom of the baked crust.
- Add the remaining sliced strawberries to the cooled strawberry mixture; gently stir to combine.
- Pour the filling into the crust.
- Refrigerate until cold and the filling is set, about 4 hours. Cut into 10 even slices and serve.
Recipe contributed by Satellite Healthcare