Caribbean Carrot Salad
Sweet, tangy, and a little spicy, this recipe is a twist on the typical carrot salad. Sure to be a hit with people of all ages, it pairs well with broiled fish or grilled chicken.
12 cups water
1 (10 ounces) package of shredded carrots (3 packed cups)
1 (8 ounces) can of pineapple tidbits in 100% juice, juice drained
Juice of 1 lime
1 tablespoon vegetable oil (such as canola or extra virgin olive oil)
1 tablespoon honey
1 clove of garlic, minced
½ teaspoon Dijon mustard
½ teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch of allspice or nutmeg
- Bring a large stock pot with water and shredded carrots to boil. Once boiling, cook carrots until just tender, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer carrots to a large bowl. Allow to cool.
- To make the salad dressing, whisk together lime juice, oil, honey, garlic, ginger, and allspice or nutmeg in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add drained pineapple to the cooled carrots, toss to combine.
- Pour dressing over carrots and pineapple, and mix gently.
- Refrigerate for one hour before serving.
- Leftovers can be stored, refrigerated, for up to 4 days.