Apple Cake with Warm Honey Sauce
Bring warmth and happiness to you and your family with this delicious cake that fits well with your renal diet. Top with a dash of nutmeg and serve warm with honey sauce.
⅓ cup lemon juice
3 cup apples, peeled and diced
3 tablespoons margarine
½ cup sugar
½ cup honey
2 cup flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon nutmeg
2½ teaspoons cornstarch
½ cup honey
⅓ cup water
1 tablespoon lemon peel, grated
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1 tablespoon margarine
Dash of nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Pour lemon juice over apples and toss to coat. Set aside.
- Cream margarine and sugar in a bowl. Add honey and beat well. Add egg and mix.
- Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and nutmeg together and add to margarine mixture.
- Stir in apples. Pour into a greased 9-inch square baking pan.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until toothpick comes clean from the center. Cake should be golden and the edges pulling away from the sides.
- Remove from oven. As the cake cools, make the sauce.
- To make sauce, mix cornstarch, honey and water together in a small saucepan. Add lemon peel.
- Cook over moderate heat for about 5 minutes or until thick, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in lemon juice, margarine and nutmeg, for a minute.
- Pour over the cake and let cool for 2 hours before slicing. Slice into 9 even slices and serve.
Recipe contributed by Rory C. Pace, MPH, RD, CSR, FAND from Satellite Healthcare